How do I renew my US passport? | Letters to the Editor


I am an American citizen who has lived in Trinidad and Tobago for several years. I plan to travel to the United States soon, but my United States passport has expired. How can I renew my passport?

To respond:

One of the primary responsibilities of any US embassy or consulate is to ensure that US citizens can return to their home country. For US citizens living in or visiting Trinidad and Tobago, there are two ways to renew your US passport.

Eligible US citizens can renew their passport by mail or, for cases that do not meet all of the criteria listed below, by making an appointment at the Port of Spain Embassy.

To be eligible for passport renewal by mail, you must be able to answer “yes” to all five statements below regarding your U.S. passport:

1. You have your US passport in your possession and can submit it with your application.

2. Passport is undamaged other than normal wear and tear.

3. It was issued when you were 16 or older.

4. It was issued within the last 15 years.

5. It was issued in your current name, or you can document your name change.

To begin the passport renewal process, visit the U.S. Passport Services section of our Embassy’s website at and follow the links for passport renewal by mail.

If your answer to any of the above statements is “no”, then you will need to make an appointment at the Embassy to complete your passport service.

For this, meet

If you have already scheduled your passport service, but now prefer to cancel and save yourself a trip to the embassy by taking advantage of passport renewal by mail, please email [email protected]

To save time and avoid stress, we recommend that you renew your US passport several months before it expires, usually within six months of your passport’s expiration date.

Whether you renew by mail or in person, US passport processing typically takes about two weeks and your new passport will be delivered to you via TTPost.

For information about other services the Embassy provides to U.S. citizens in Trinidad and Tobago, please visit the U.S. Citizen Services section of our website at

For specific inquiries regarding American Citizen Services or to follow up on a request, email [email protected]

Comments are closed.